Saturday, August 21, 2010

Five to Thrive

As I've been speaking with voters, I've been sharing my vision for North Carolina; a healthy economy, small business growth and job creation, improving education, getting tough on crime and restoring honesty and integrity to state government and our elections process.

Now I'd like to tell you how I plan to do that. North Carolina needs real solutions. I have them. I believe it will take . . .

FIVE to THRIVE

Five to Thrive is the name for five pieces of legislation I'm going to be introducing on Day One of next year's legislative session.

I've worked with citizens, and with business and community leaders to craft these bills because all the talk in the world isn't going to solve our problems. Action and leadership focused on the right priorities will keep North Carolina a leader in the nation.

This is the direction our state desperately needs and this is the leadership that I'll bring when you elect me. The first piece of FIVE to THRIVE legislation will restore fiscal responsibility to our state budget process.

It's not often you hear North Carolina mentioned with states like California and New York, that is, unless the conversation happens to be about budget deficits.

A recent report shows North Carolina facing one of the largest budget deficits in the nation. Only California, Connecticut, Minnesota, Texas and New York are in worse financial shape.

When asked about North Carolina's financial woes, my opponent and current NC Representative responded, "Most states are struggling with the financial crisis, but North Carolina is faring better than other states." (http://www.scribd.com/doc/29954803/The-Daily-Tar-Heel-for-April-15-2010)
Technically she is correct. We are faring better than other states - five of them. She fails to mention we are doing worse than 44. My opponent's solution? "Broaden the tax base." As if the $1.4 Billion tax increase last year wasn't broad enough.

My solution? I'll be introducing the GROWTH in BUDGET ACT which will limit government spending increases to the average increase of inflation and population growth. The Growth in Budget Act will require a two-thirds majority vote of the General Assembly to exceed this limit and will establish an emergency reserve trust fund. Any funds unspent as a result of this act that exceed 5% of the general fund appropriation for the prior fiscal year will be returned to the taxpayers.

Just as families and businesses across North Carolina have had to tighten their belts and live within their means, so must state government.

The GROWTH in BUDGET ACT is the first of my Five to Thrive solutions. I can't wait to tell you about the other four over the coming weeks so stay tuned! The complete text of all five bills will be available for online viewing on my website after October 1.

It's time for real leadership in North Carolina and together, we can make a difference.